According to the prevention and control needs of the coronavirus pandemic, Summer Programs has decided to cancel our China Discovery Program in summer 2020 due to health and safety considerations of students participating in Summer Programs.
If you have any other questions, please contact our office at 010-80496008 ext. 2777.
Thank you for your understanding and support.
CHINA DISCOVERY PROGRAM
With more than 1.4 billion citizens, China accounts for about 18% of the world’s population. More than one in six people globally are native speakers of the Mandarin Chinese language, making it by far the most used native language anywhere. The capital city of Beijing is the most populated capital city in the world, and displays a spectacular combination of modern architecture and historic sites that are centuries old. Established over 3,000 years ago, Beijing is the ideal place to experience what it is to live in China while learning to master its language and customs.
CULTURAL PRESERVATION and INNOVATION
One of China’s great challenges is integrating 21st century global innovation into a society full of rich historical and cultural traditions without losing what it means to be Chinese in today’s world. Balancing Confucian values with globalization can lead to possible conflict and complex compromises. Only by understanding Beijing’s ancient history and its current conditions can students be prepared to understand these challenges … and only by understanding these challenges can global citizens learn how best to approach and interact with their Chinese counterparts.
Keystone Academy is a special and distinctive institution of learning in Beijing. While other schools in Beijing may be considered “international” schools, they frequently overlook the culture of our host country. Keystone is a Chinese private non-profit school with a bilingual immersion model. The staff is truly international and diverse in every sense of the word, while the majority of the students are Chinese. Our attention to the “Chinese Thread” that connects all coursework here to the local culture and history ensures an international education that is firmly grounded in China.
Keystone’s Summer Archway is Beijing’s premier language immersion program, serving Chinese students mastering the use of English and Western students mastering their command of Mandarin Chinese. Our talented staff of Chinese Language, Civilization, and Art teachers has collaborated to create a one-of-a-kind approach to immersing students in language and culture. In three weeks, we will explore the past, the present, and the future of this exciting and influential city while simultaneously strengthening the communication skills of Chinese language learners.
In the classroom, students will interact with our creative and experienced Lead Teachers through discussion and exploration activities. Language and Literature teachers will develop communication skills, while Civilization teachers will share their perspective on history to help students better understand the foundations of China’s culture. Finally, our Visual and Performing Arts teachers will teach the students how to express themselves in a variety of ways that are indigenous to our host country.
Outside the classroom, students will visit historic and contemporary sites that demonstrate the diversity of experiences that make up Beijing’s cultural environment. We will visit the Forbidden City, the National Museum, the Great Wall of China, the Bird’s Nest, the Water Cube, the National Center for the Performing Arts, the World Trade Plaza, and an area known as the Hutongs. Our field trips will provide much more than typical tourist visits, as they will be led by experts who will be able to share in-depth information and knowledge about the vibrant locations that contribute to the unique nature of Beijing.
- Language Acquisition through Classroom Content and Outdoor Learning: listening, speaking, reading and writing.
- Highly Qualified Instructors: Keystone Academy instructional staff.
- Variety of Activities: classroom, sports, field trips, arts & crafts, etc.
- State-of-the-Art Facilities: up-to-date instructional technology, Harkness Tables, indoor gymnasium, Performing Arts Center, library and campus-wide wi-fi.
- Boarding Program: All students will live at Keystone campus and eat in our dining facilities during the program. They will also be able to participate in activities and field trips on weekend.
What content will be taught?
Chinese Language, Culture, and Art.
When is the program?
The program runs for three weeks from June 29th through July 17th, 2020.
Whom does the program serve?
Students must be at least 14 years old by the time the program begins, and they must be non-native Chinese speakers capable of speaking basic Mandarin Chinese.
- Regular Admission Deadline : April 20th, 2020
- Keystone Summer Archway has a rolling admission policy. Any application submitted after the deadline will be accepted based on available seats.
Students will live on campus at Keystone Academy, and be immersed in a Chinese-speaking environment all day.
- Keystone Dormitory: 2 students will share one room, with a private bathroom.
- Variety of Activities: Students will participate in a wide variety of activities at night and during the weekends. Possible activities include handicraft, astronomy observation, watching movies, playing games, practicing musical instruments, and more!
- Students should apply for a proper visa and purchase their flight tickets after receiving the acceptance letter. The flight should be arriving on June 27th or June 28th, 2020, and the return flight should be departing on July 18th or July 19th, 2020.
- Students should purchase relevant travel and medical insurance before coming to China, and should submit relevant insurance certificates to Keystone Summer Programs Office for record when signing up.
This schedule might be adjusted depending on weather conditions.
How To Apply?
To apply, an applicant shall complete the application in four steps.
Step 1: Complete the basic profile. Click here to begin your application.
Step 2: Make a payment for application fee. For more information, please click here.
Step 3: Schedule an interview. Keystone Summer Programs Office will contact you via Email to schedule an interview once your application fee has been received.
Step 4: Receive a decision letter. Students who are accepted to the program will be notified upon acceptance along with payment details, and other required enrollment documents.
How much does the program cost?
The cost of the program will be 30,000 Yuan Renminbi (RMB), or approximately $4,300. The tuition in U.S. Dollars is subject to change, depending on the current exchange rate when payment is made. Tuition includes application fee of 100 USD, all classroom lessons, activities and materials, field trip expenses, and room & board (including meals) for the duration of the program. It does NOT include travel expenses, visa acquisition expenses, or travel/medical insurance. The application fee of 100USD must be paid before your application can be processed. The rest shall be paid after the acceptance letter is issued.
Note: Please make a bank transfer to below bank account, and indicate the student's name when making your payment.
Keystone Academy Bank Transfer Details 学校银行账户信息：
Transfer to RMB:
账户名称 (RMB Account Name): 北京市鼎石学校
账户地址 (Account Address): 北京市顺义区后沙峪镇安富街11号,101318
账户号码 (RMB Account No. ): 341562011329
银行名称（Bank Name）： 中国银行北京空港万科支行
银行地址（Bank Address）： 北京市顺义区天竺空港工业区B区裕民大街4号
Transfer to USD:
USD Account Name: Keystone Academy
Account Address: No.11 An Fu Street, Houshayu Town , Shunyi District, Beijing, China 101318
USD Account No: 332462165509
Bank Name: BANK OF CHINA BEIJING BRANCH
Bank Address: NO. 2 CHAO YANG MEN NEI DA JIE, DONG CHENG DISTRICT, BEIJING, 100010, CHINA
SWIFT CODE: BKCHCNBJ110
A student who decides to withdraw from the program after a full payment has been made must submit a written request to Keystone Summer Programs Office at firstname.lastname@example.org. Such requests will be reviewed according to the following rules:
1) The application fee of 100USD is non-refundable without exception.
2) Refund Schedule:
- If the written request is received on or before March 31st, 2020, a student shall receive 100% of the fees (excluding the application fee).
- If the written request is received on or before April 20th, 2020, a student shall receive 50% of his fees (excluding the application fee).
- No refund requests will be accepted or processed after April 20th, 2020.
3) No refund will be made to any student who is dismissed for any reason from the program before the completion of the program.
4) Please be aware that all refunds will be deposited into the same bank account from which the payment was made, and the international refund process could involve delays.