MARINE SCIENCE STEAM
Oceans cover more than 70% of the earth’s surface and are the the defining features of the blue planet. All life, including human life, depends on these oceans, so we must understand the fundamental relationship between our existence as humans and the health and vitality of the oceans.
One aspect of Keystone Academy’s mission is to promote environmental stewardship. Another aspect of the school’s mission is its thoughtful bilingual immersion education. This Marine Science STEAM Program for summer students is a small step in practice that attempts to combine both. Students’ learning in the program is inquiry-based: they will work with our teachers to observe closely, ask good questions, investigate actively, and find answers to their own questions, all in the context of studying ocean life in both Chinese and English. Students will be challenged to examine the connections between human life and millions of lives in the ocean. In doing so, they will achieve an understanding of the importance of environmental conservation. It is an important goal for the program that participants become more aware of these issues, and more environmentally friendly in their life style, by the end of this experience.
Upon completing the program, students will have:
- Learned to discover and ask questions
- Become exposed to the scientific method
- Increased their vocabulary in science, art, and engineering in both English and Chinese
- Strengthened their ability and confidence to speak in both English and Chinese
- Become familiar with the learning environment at Keystone Academy and schools like it
- Had a most memorable summer!
- Inter-disciplinary Approach to Learning: Students will learn to tackle questions from multiple perspectives, including science, art, design, engineering and the humanity.
- Bilingual Curriculum: Keystone Academy takes pride in its bilingual education model, and students in this program will gain a taste of bilingual education and improve their confidence in communicating in both languages.
- Diverse Supporting Activities:
- Diving and snorkeling, a sleepover at the Beijing aquarium, and animal encounters.
- Chinese and Western sports, arts and crafts.
- Highly Qualified Instructors: Keystone teachers and professionals with similar teaching credentials, plus special guests, including a National Geography Contributing Photographer.
- State-of-the-Art Facilities: central air filtration system, up-to-date instructional technology, science labs, indoor gymnasium, performing arts center, and campus-wide wifi.
Who is eligible?
Currently in grades 2 through 4 with a prescribed level of English.
- Application Deadline: Rolling admissions up to April 30th, 2018. Applications submitted after April 30th will be accepted based on available places.
When is the program?
The program runs for 2 weeks between July 16 and July 27, 2018. The daily schedule starts at 8:30am and ends at 3:45pm.
8:30 - 10:30 Academic Learning
10:30 - 10:40 Mid-morning Snack
10:40 - 12:00 Academic Learning
12:00 - 12:30 Lunch
12:30 - 13:00 Personal Time
13:00 - 13:50 Academic Learning
14:00 – 15:20 PM Extra Curricular Activities
15:25 – 15:40 Mid-afternoon Snack
15:45 Bus Departure
How much does the program cost?
The total cost is RMB12, 900, which includes the application fee, tuition, educational materials, lunch, use of sports facilities and certificate on successful completion of program. The application fee of RMB500 is non-refundable and must be paid before your application can be processed. The rest shall be paid within 20 days of your admission decision. Transportation is not included and optional, at a flat rate of RMB1000 for the duration of the program. Bus service will be provided, for limited routes, based on the number of students.
Early Bird Discount: For applications received by February 26th, 2018, applicants will enjoy a 10% discount off the tuition.
Please pay your fees in one of two ways listed below:
1) Cash: Please deliver cash to the Finance Office at Keystone Academy (Room 1151C)
2) Wire Transfer: Please make a wire transfer to Keystone Academy. Please be advised that the student's full name must be noted in the memo part of the transaction.
Keystone Academy Bank Transfer Details
账户名称（RMB Account Name）：北京市鼎石学校
账户地址（Account Address）： 北京市顺义区后沙峪镇安富街11号, 101318
账户号码（RMB Account No.）： 11014732369002
银行名称（Bank Name）： 平安银行北京海淀支行
银行地址（Bank Address）： 北京市海淀区中关村南大街甲32号中关村科技发展大厦B座1层
A student who decides to withdraw from the program after a full payment has been made, must submit a written request to Keystone Summer School Office at firstname.lastname@example.org. Such request will be reviewed and processed within 10 working days according to the following rules:
1) The application fee of RMB500 is non-refundable without exception.
2) Bus transportation service is optional; the bus service fee of RMB1000 is non-refundable without exception.
3) Refund Schedule:
4) No refund will be made to any student who is dismissed for any reason from the program before the completion of the program.
5) All refunds must be deposited into the same bank account from which the payment was made.
- Ouyang Mingjun, Grade 3, Zhong Guan Cun No.1 Primary School (Original text is in Chinese)
I’m a boy full of curiosity and interest in biology. I joined Marine Science STEAM summer program in 2016 and had a fantastic time! I enjoyed the inquiry-based learning method, and liked our teachers and classmates very much. In class, we learned a variety of mysterious marine organisms, observed the movement of a nautilus and dissected an octopus. The most interesting part was wearing a pair of VR glasses to study mosasaurus. It looked so real in front of us. All of activities made me want to learn more every day. We also did lots of readings and writings in marine science. During the lessons, teachers encouraged us to speak up our opinions, and it was so exciting for me to share my thinking with others in English. I learned diving and swimming underwater like a fish. We slept in the aquarium without parents. It was fun setting up tents with friends and listening to stories about the ocean while sharks swam by. Mom said that she was happy to wash my sweaty clothes because that means I had a full happy day. During these two weeks, I got up early to wait for the school bus, because I was looking forward to starting my day and looking forward to seeing my teachers and friends soon. Now, I hope I can join Keystone Summer School again next summer.
- Tony Jiang, Grade 5, Keystone Academy (Original text is in Chinese)
This program was quite interesting. All of the lessons and activities were related to marine science. Ocean is a mysterious place and I now believe there are a lot of things waiting to be discovered in the water. I didn't expect too much of this program orignially, because I thought this would be about science only. It turned out to be quite colorful and made me really interested in marine science. I enjoyed many activities. For example, we wore VR glasses to experience the deep ocean; we enjoyed experiencing diving in the school's swimming pool and took diving photos underwater. I think the most interesting part was sleepover in the aquarium, because we could see a lot of real marine organisms, at night. I felt very much connected to the ocean during that night. Actually, only if you experience it can you understand it. In a word, I think it was a wise choice for me to join the Marine Science STEAM program. I strongly recommend it to anyone.
- Wang Xuanyi’s Parents, Wan Quan Primary School (Grade 4) (Original text is in Chinese)
Marine Science STEAM program was full of fun and challenges. Although Xuanyi had to spent some time commuting every day, when she came home at the end of the day, she couldn't stop sharing with us many interesting stories that had happened in school. Xuan yi enjoyed very much all the lessons, experiments in particular. The most memorable experience for her was camping in the aquarium with friends. It was the first time she spent a night with friends away from home. She not only gained a lot of marine knowledge and ways of discovering new things and also these lessons have long-term effects on her study. On the last day of the program, Xuanyi asked us whether she could return to this program again next year.